Thursday 22 July 2010

Samsung UN46C7000 46 Inch 3D LED HD TV

Samsung UN46C7000 46-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV

I am going to be totally up front with you...I don't own a 3D TV, but with the release of the Samsung UN46C7000 3D LED TVI do feel qualified to comment as I own the sister non 3D version the UN46B8000.

So, regardless of the 3D element, this is a top notch LED TV. In fact it's exceptional and I absolutely LOVE my Samsung LED TV, it's probably the best consumer electronics buy I have ever made.

The picture is just so crisp and clean, it's like looking through a super clean pane of glass on the sunniest day ever! With the full 1080p HD and 240Hz refresh package the picture is just outsanding, I'm almost out of superlatives...yes I really do like my samsung LED TV. So, the Samsung UN46C7000 46 Inch 3D LED TV has the same exceptional crytsal clear, beautiful picture. The colors as just so bright and vibrant and the blacks truly black, not so much as a hint of gray. And the contrast is simply razor sharp.

To sum up the picture quality is amazing, like real life. If you rea dmy reviews you'll klnow I love my sport and action movies and both just "come to life" on the samsung UN46C7000 3D LED TV. LED is definitely the future.

But if LED is the future...what's in store for 3D?

I first saw 3D back in May on a visit to London. U.K satellite broadcaster Sky were showing of premier league soccer matches in 3D, but only in selected bars. Ummm, 3D TV being shown in a bar? The chance to see 3D TV in anger and have a few cold beers at the same time prooved far too good an opportunity to pass up!

I was also fortunate enough to be invited to the CEDIA exhibition while I was in London. This is trade sho9w where all the top in house entertainment, automation and AV people show off their latest wares. (It was a great trip this!) And, I managed to get myself a full 3D TV demo while I was there.

But before I talk about the experience, there are a few things you need to actually watch in 3D!

Most importantly you need a 3D source. You'll need a 3D channel (not much currently available) or a 3D DVD source and these are only available on Blu-Ray althougn there are some 3D games around.

However, there is really not much 3D source matrial about right now. One good source of 3D content is online where Internet@TV has a fair sized library you can access.

The main thing you'll need to exprience 3D is a special pair of 3D glasses. Now these things are not cheap! So, make sure you take into account the fact every member of the family will need a pair (and any guests you have), so take this cost into account if you are considering buying a 3D TV. Without these glasses a 3D picture is blurry and unwatchable.

Depending on the type you buy they will also need battries or charging. This is because the lenses oscillate to make the picture 3D to the eye. You can't see this oscillation with the naked eye while you have the glasses on, but it's there and it does give a much clearer 3D vision than those horrible card red and blue lensed  things they give away in the newspaper or have in a bowl at the museum!

So what can you expect from 3D pictures on your Samsung UN46C7000 LED HD 3D TV?

Well, as with all LED TV technology, Samsung are definitely at the forefront. I have already said how much I rate Samsung and the UN4C7000 is no exception. It's a great piece of kit and has all the advantages I've talked about on other Samsung LED TV models.

According to Samsung the action "jumps off the screen" so you become "totally immersed in the action".

My view is that watching 3D is a unique if slightly unerving exprience, certainly initially. Watching the soccer when they annouced the teams the players profiles seemed to fly onto the screen from behind my head! Watching the game itself was again slightly weird. Maybe it's becaused we're used to seeing our sport in 2D, I'm not sure, but it had the feeling of a game rather than live TV. And I didn't think the pciture was as crisp as normal LED TV.

The demo I saw at CEDIA was a specific 3D demo, funnily enough on a samsung UN46C7000 LED HD 3D TV (which is why I picked this one to review). I particularly liked a scene with two canoeists white water canoeing down a canyon. The depth given to the canyon by 3D made for an exciting viewing experience for sure. And, when water splashed back at me and ran down the screen, well, it was a bit of a "wow" moment. They also had a steam train demo and the way the train smoke swirled around was also very good.

But, despite what they sales blurb says, (that the 3D glasses fit comfortably over normal glasses), they don't really and it was just ever so slightly uncomfortable after a while.

Not having a 3D TV myself and none of my HD TV Budies have yet to bite the bullet I did some Internet research on 3D TV. The general view that I found was that many people had some trouble getting their 3D TV sets to actually work in 3D! This sort of defeats the object somewhat!

But, once those teething problems had been overcome then 99.9% of the reviews I read were hugely positive. People who had embraced 3D absolutely loved it.

The Samsung UN46C7000 is certainly a pioneer in the LED 3D TV market and has also suffered some teething problems with many sets from the early runs requiring fixes and replacements. I understand these problems are now passed and that the latst batch of UN46C7000's are running smoothly and giving excellent 3D entertainment all over the States.

So, my conclusion? Well, I am yet to be convinced by 3D, especially as there is not much source material. So, I intend to hold fire for now. But...if you want to embrace 3D TV the technology does now seem stable and the number of sources will start to grow quickly now. And if you want to make that "step up" to 3D, there is no better starting point than the Samsung UN46C7000 46 inch LED 3D TV. In fact, the prices are really very good right now, so maybe it's a good time to take that first step into the brave new world of 3D TV?




For more information on the Samsung UN46C7000 3D LED TV and great prices - Click HERE

1 comment: